Monday, June 15, 2009

Kaiserslautern

Hey gang!
So things are finally starting to happen. I have started to do a little bit of travelling and it is exciting!!
Last Wednesday after work, I got on Facebook and my friend Tyler was on the chat so we started talking. Tyler is in the US Army and is currently stationed in Germany for the next few years. Once we found out that we were going to be so close to one another (France, Germany) we said we would visit each other. So as we were talking, he told me he had a 4 day weekend pass and that if I wanted to come visit soon, I should this weekend because after that he is going away to Eastern Germany for some sort of Army training for an entire month. So i got off the computer went to buy my ticket and the  next morning I was off to Germany. The train ride took 2 hours and a half and I arrived in Kaiserslautern. Then I had to take a little train to Miesau which is where the military base is at.
It was really nice to see Tyler again and it was very exciting to hang out in a Military base. I had really no idea what to expect and wow it is interesting. As soon as you cross the main gate, its like you are in a different world. There are little shops here and there, a library, basketball and soccer fields, a barber etc its like you enter a new city but where people are all wearing army gears. EXCITING!
So for me to be able to stay there, I had to check in at the main gate. They kept my passport and in return they gave me a visitors pass. After 24 hours I had to check out (Very important, we were a few mins late and the guy at the gate gave us crap because of it.. he told Tyler if it happens again he could loose his sign in privilage for a month.... STRICT IN THE ARMY..hehe) Once I check out, I can check right back in.
So the first night we hung out in his room with a few of his friends. The room is HUGE! Again I didnt know what to expect, but its huge!!!!!! Bigger than my entire apt. Tyler is sharing a room with a guy named Fred but some people have this gigantic room all to themselves. It was well equipped with a flat screen tv, a play station, plenty of movies, their computers, so many pieces of furniture i couldnt count.... not too shabby!! ;)
The second day, Tyler was called in to work despite having a 4 day pass (bouuu) so I hung out with his roomate for a few hours. When he came back from work, we went to a little town called Landshul.. or something like that. It was very nice!!! There is a castle just at the top of the mountain looking down at the little town. It was gorgeous!!! and it was a lot of fun!! We walked around and had some good food and some good german beer. We didn't get the chance to visit much because by the time we got there it was rather late. We did have a lot of fun playing darts and baby foot at a really fun bar! (Canada wins at darts, but America wins at baby foot). We then tried to look for a bar that would be playing the Stanley cup game.. but no luck.. haha.. it was impossible!! All is all it was a very fun day!!
The third day, we visited Kaiserslautern. That was a lot of fun, not only because the weather was OH SO BEAUTIFUL, not only because I was with Tyler, but because I got the chance to eat a SOFT PRETZEL!!! YEAHHHH!!! After having Philly Pretzels and being SOOO addicted to them, I had been trying to find some for the last 2 months... GERMANY is where I had to be. Oh they were sooooo delicious.... they were all warm and very very tasty. No Philly Pretzel, but still EXCELLENT. So we walked around Kaiserslautern for a good 4 hours. We sat down right beside this old old church and had some yummy ice cream. Kaiserslautern is reallllly gorgeous there is so much to see! A lot of stores. I wish I had some pictures to post on this blog but unfortunately my computer is dead right now, because of the wire problem I have been having since I got here, so right now I am on a friends computer and I can not upload any pictures on this computer. So I guese you will have to wait! :) Actually.... I didnt even take any pictures of Kaiserslautern but I did take some of the Military base and landshul. Why didnt i take pictures of Kaiserslautern? I really have NOOO idea!! But I will be going back soon enough so I will take some then. So i will post the other ones soon, Once i figure out what to do with my bloody computer!!!
So I had a reallllllllllllly awesome time. Tyler is just so great!!!! And It felt good to leave Paris a little bit, but it was also nice to be back. When I got back to my apt , my roomate Jesper was there so I got the chance to talk to someone about my trip. Its really awesome to have such a wonderful roomate.
On Thursday I am going to meet up with my friend CJ in Amsterdam. He is going with 2 of his friends so I will go hang out with them for 3 days. Then they are coming to Paris for a few days. It will be fun to hang out with friends from back home in 2 different countries. hehe! The joys of Europe!
 Cj is a friend I met through my American friend Chris David. Chris came to visit me in Montreal and brought CJ with him. We got along so great and we met up again when I visited New Jersey a few months back. He is a CRAZY american so I can imagine it will be very interesting and a lot of fun especially if he is going to be there with his other American friends!I love Americans! They are absolutely wonderful and so much fun to hang out with :) I am very excited about going to Amsterdam. I really wanted to go back so this is the perfect opportunity. I bought my ticket today. My train leaves at 9am Thursday morning and I come back Saturday night because I work Sunday morning.
Well I guess this is all for now! Again sorry i dont have any pictures!
I hope that everyone is good!!!!!!!!
I will write back once I get back from Amsterdam!!
Love you all!
Miss you all!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Boy !! is that ever beautiful!! Gen ...I envy you soooooo much!!
This is the most wonderful time of your life..you will remember for years to come !! Enjoy the most of it !! Time fly's sooooo fast !!

Love ya !!Auntie Madeleine